Given this text is still used for our undergraduate environmental economics course I thought I would post a little information on it here. I have also added it to the textbooks in the sidebar.
Although not as good as Perman et al. (the set text for this course) it is useful for background reading and is excellent on certain topics.
Environmental Economics and Policy provides students with a unique problem-solving approach and cost/benefit perspective. Its strong use of case studies drawn straight from today Us toughest environmental debates and its focus on international issues, sets this book apart from the rest.
Designed to show how the basic economic model used in evaluating environmental issues can be applied to the pressing policy issues of today. Unique approach includes an emphasis on environmental cost-benefit analysis, including how to apply this analysis to policy decisions and the appropriate discount rate.
Table of Contents
I. BUILDING BLOCKS.
1. Introduction to Environmental Economics.
2. Economic Activity and the Environment.
3. Foundations of Economic Efficiency and Equity.
4. Ethics, Public Policy, and the Environment.
5. Defining Policy Goals.
II. ECONOMIC WELFARE, EQUITY, AND RIGHTS.
6. Externalities and Economic Inefficiency.
7. Policies to Address Efficiency Goals.
8. Externalities, Equity, and Fairness.
9. Policies That Address Non economic Goals.
10. Balancing Policy Goals.
III. ENVIRONMENTAL VALUES- MEASUREMENT AND APPLICATIONS.
11. Measuring Environmental Costs and Benefits.
12. Measuring the Value of Life and Health.
13. Discounting Environmental Benefits and Costs Over Time.
14. Risk, Uncertainty, and Environmental Policy.
IV. SELECTED POLICY AND TOPICS.
15. Exhaustible Resources.
16. Renewable Resources.
17. Water Resources.
18. Energy Resources.
19. Economic Growth, the Environment, and Sustainability.
20. International Environmental and Resource Issues I- Local Effects.
21. International Environmental and Resource Issues II- Global Effects.
22. The Future of Environmental Economics and Policy.